The report, “Economic Impact and Return on Investment Analysis: Alabama Community College System,” concluded that Bevill State provided a return on investment of 7.8, meaning for every dollar of state appropriations received, Bevill State contributed $6.8 of additional goods and services to west-central Alabama during the 2008-2010 fiscal years.
The analysis also calculated Bevill State’s total economic output impact to be $153,286,195.
During that time, the College’s state appropriations averaged $19.7 million, approximately 38 percent of Bevill State’s annual spending. Tuition, fees and other sources of income financed the remaining 62 percent of adjusted total expenditures.
“The purpose of this report was to compute the impact our colleges have on the economy in the State of Alabama,” said Bevill State President Dr. Anne McNutt. “We realize our colleges represent a driving economic force among Alabama’s cities and towns. It is important to show just how vital we are not only to education but also to our economic recovery.”
Based on the same report, the ROI for the entire two-year system is estimated to be 7.0. The system provides approximately 7,400 full-time jobs and has an annual operating budget of over $702 million (adjusted for depreciation and interest payments).
“In terms of raw numbers, the ACCS is a major employer and provider of jobs. In terms of economic development and industrial recruitment, it serves as a valuable economic partner to many localities and acts as a significant economic engine for the State,” said Dr. M. Keivan Deravi, Professor of Economics at Auburn University at Montgomery, who conducted the research.
The Alabama Community College System is the state’s single largest system of public higher education and is the state’s most affordable and accessible system of higher education. Bevill State is one of the system’s 29 entities that include public community and technical colleges. The college has four campuses in Fayette, Hamilton, Jasper and Sumiton and one instructional site located in Carrollton.