The Club is the namesake of Colonel Lycurgus Breckinridge “L.B.” Musgrove, who had it built in 1924 as a place to entertain his friends and business associates.
A total of 556 logs were cut from the surrounding 228 acres of forest on the club’s property for its construction.
Following the stock market crash of 1929, Musgrove grew fearful when he started losing his fortune and took steps to save his “country estate” by leasing it to a group for 100 years.
In 1932, 45 local citizens paid $100 each for a share in the newly-formed Walker County Holding Company. They became the charter members of Musgrove Country Club.
In 1960, nine holes were added to the original nine that had been built by Musgrove. Several improvement were made to the course in 1992, and its reputation around the state has been growing ever since.
Two of its most notable features are the wooden, swinging bridges that connect the club to the course across Blackwater Creek.
The clubhouse charms visitors with its original lobby, ballroom and back-to-back stone fireplaces.
The club also includes several dining rooms that feature a spectacular view of the course.
The Pilot Club’s Tour of Homes will be held Sunday, Dec. 2, from 1:30 to 4 p.m. Tickets are available from any Pilot member and are $10 in advance or $12 at the door.
Proceeds from the event will go to Equines Assisting Special Individuals (EASI), a local therapeutic horseback riding program.
Musgrove Country Club will not be open to visitors until after 2 p.m. the day of the tour.