New form required for handicap license plates
by Elane Jones
Jul 26, 2012 | 1608 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Walker County Probate Office announced Wednesday that all residents who have handicap parking privileges must sign a new form in order to renew their tags.

“The handicap tags will not be renewed without the new form,” Probate Judge Rick Allison said. “Qualified applicants are entitled to one disability access plate for each motor vehicle they own.”

Allison said qualified applicants may also obtain one disability access placard regardless of the vehicles owned by the applicant.

“The placards can be utilized in a parking space reserved for persons with disabilities,” Allison said. “But they (the placards) must be displayed in a manner that allows them to be seen from the front and rear of the vehicle.”

Allison said the placards should be hung from the front windshield rearview mirror, but if there is no rearview mirror, the placard can be displayed on the dashboard.

Disability access license plates and placards are issued to (a) persons with a disability which limits or impairs their ability to walk; or (b) organizations that transport persons with disabilities which limit or impair their ability to walk.

Those considered eligible for handicapped parking privileges are those who:

•Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest

•Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device

•Are restricted by lung disease to such extent that the person’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm.hg on room air at rest

•Use portable oxygen

•Have a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association

•Are severly limited in their ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition

•Have a long-term disability

•Have a temporary disability (period not to exceed six months)

“The handicapped individual applying for the license plate must appear in person at the Probate Office to sign the form, or you can download it from the Alabama Department of Revenue’s website and send it with another individual,” Allison said. “You can also mail it if you are renewing by mail.”

Allison said individuals with qualified disabilities must obtain a licensed physician’s certification before applying for a handicapped license plate or placard for the first time.

For a five-year period beginning in 2012, individuals with long-term disabilities may self-certify their disabilities when they renew their placards or plates.

“The handicapped individual needs to complete the information at both the top and bottom of the form,” Allison said. “And be sure to sign and date the self-certification section at the very bottom.”

The two-page application form for Disability Access Parking Privileges (MVR-32-6-230) is available online at or at the Walker County Probate Judge Office in Jasper.