No. 3 Parrish runs past Hubbard
by W. Brian Hale
Feb 21, 2013 | 2231 views | 0 0 comments | 8 8 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Parrish's Jermichael Harris heads to the goal as a pair of R.A. Hubbard players defend. The Tornadoes topped the Chiefs 62-50. Photo by Jeff Johnsey
view slideshow (3 images)
HANCEVILLE – Three years ago, the R.A. Hubbard Chiefs ended the Parrish Tornadoes’ Cinderella postseason run and hopes of the program’s first appearance at the AHSAA Final Four at the Northwest Regional Tournament.

On Wednesday night, No. 3 Parrish returned the favor following a 62-50 victory over R.A. Hubbard at Wallace State’s Drake Coliseum in Hanceville.

Parrish junior Barry Hill had an outstanding performance on the night, recording a double-double with 20 points, 19 rebounds and six blocked shots. Jermichael Harris also turned in a great effort with 18 points and four rebounds. Tyler Sims scored 10 points and Desmond Brown had 6 points and 12 rebounds.

“Our guys came out and played well in the first half in spurts, but we also made some mistakes in our rotation and threw the ball away, which led to easy baskets for Hubbard,” Parrish coach Heath Burns said. “Our free-throw shooting has to get better. If we want to win a championship we have to shoot free throws better than we did tonight. But this was a great win tonight and I’m extremely proud of our chance to be in the region championship game.”

Hill dominated the game in the first half, scoring 18 points with 11 rebounds and five blocked shots.

“Barry played spectacularly, but I see him every day in practice and he’s even better than the way he played tonight,” Burns said. “With his presence, he alters shots as well as blocks them. He played tremendous on offense and defense. We’re not going to be successful without him.”

Parrish took firm control in the first period, establishing a 22-10 lead.

The Tornadoes held a slight 13-12 scoring edge in the second period, but remained in control 35-22 at halftime.

A serious injury to R.A. Hubbard’s Tony Harris in the final minute of the third period forced a 20-minute stoppage in game play while medical personnel attended to the fallen player. When play resumed, the Chiefs had cut the lead to 12 points after a 12-11 scoring run, but Parrish stayed on top, 46-34.

Both teams scored 16 points in the fourth period, but Parrish claimed the 62-50 victory at the final buzzer.

The Tornadoes will take on the Marion County Red Raiders (20-5) on Saturday for the Northwest Regional Championship at Hanceville. Parrish has won all three meetings with Marion County this season, including a 70-59 win for the Area 13 championship.