The Jasper City Board of Education on Monday approved the 2019-2020 school calendar, which will start on Aug. 1 for teachers and Aug. 8 for students. The board took the calendar as a committee …
The Jasper City Board of Education on Monday approved the 2019-2020 school calendar, which will start on Aug. 1 for teachers and Aug. 8 for students.
The board took the calendar as a committee recommendation, with officials noting the committee likely started with an ending date and moved backward. Dr. Ann Jackson, the superintendent of education for the city system, said there have generally been no complaints about the proposal — although they noted the early start.
"People look at it and go, oh, Aug. 1," she said. "But everyone was in agreement they wanted the full week off at Thanksgiving."
In 2018, the first day of school for students was on Aug. 13, while in-service for teachers started on Aug. 6. This coming year in-service will be Aug. 1-2 and Aug. 5-7, which does not involve students.
So far, spring breaks are lining up with the calendars for the Walker County system and Bevill State Community College, she said, noting the proposed Jasper calendar was shared with those institutions.
Other highlights of the calendar are as follows:
• Sept. 2 - Labor Day holiday closing.
• Oct. 30 - Teacher in-service; no students.
• Nov. 11 - Veterans Day holiday closing.
• Nov. 25-29 - Thanksgiving holiday closing.
• Dec. 20 - End of first semester.
• Dec. 21-Jan. 5, 2020 - Christmas and New Year's holiday closing.
• Jan. 6, 2020 - Jan. 6 - Teacher in-service; no students.
• Jan. 7, 2020 - Students return to school.
• Jan. 20, 2020 - Martin Luther King Jr. holiday closing.
• Feb. 17, 2020 - Presidents Day holiday closing.
• March 23-27, 2020 - Spring break closing.
• April 10, 2020 - Weather day/teacher in-service (no students).
• May 22, 2020 - Last day of school/end of second-semester/graduation.
• May 25, 2020 - Memorial Day holiday closing.
Students will attend 180 days, while teachers will attend a total of eight extra days for in-service, according to the calendar. It includes 89 student days in the first semester and 91 student days in the second semester.
The school calendar for the current year can be found on the system's website, www.jasper.k12.al.us.