WHAT'S GOING ONThe “What’s Going On” Section will be featured each Wednesday and Sunday in the Daily Mountain Eagle, and on the Calendar at www.mountaineagle.com. Events are listed by calendar …
WHAT'S GOING ON
The “What’s Going On” Section will be featured each Wednesday and Sunday in the Daily Mountain Eagle, and on the Calendar at www.mountaineagle.com. Events are listed by calendar date and time as space allows, so guarantee when, or the number of days, an event will run. The deadline to place a an event is no later than noon on Tuesday and Friday. Email information for What’s Going On to Elane Jones at email@example.com or call 205-221-2840, ext. 246.
TODAY, SEPT. 5
• Jasper Senior Activity Center on 14th Street West in Jasper will offer a new Basic Computer Class each Wednesday and Thursday from 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. For more information, call 205-221-8513.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 6
• TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) AL 0299 meets each Thursday at the First Presbyterian Church at 1510 4th Ave. S. in Jasper. Private weigh-in at 5 p.m. Meeting at 5:30 p.m. For information, call 205-388-4114 or 893-5716
• Walker County Home Builders Association meets the first Thursday of each month at Deano’s Hickory Pit on Alabama Highway 69 South in Jasper. Social time begins at 5:30 p.m., with the meeting starting at 6 p.m.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 8
• Dilworth Community Center will host a monthly breakfast the second Saturday of each month at 7 a.m. at the center.
• Walker County Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) will meet the second Saturday of each month at 8 a.m. at the American Red Cross Office located on Viking Dr. in Jasper. Testing for all Amateur Radio license classes will be held at 9 a.m. for anyone wanting to get their amateur radio license or upgrade. For more information, contact Jimmie Dill NR4G at 205-527-4602.
• Harper Family Reunion will be held Saturday, Sept. 8, at 11 a.m. at the Dora Community Center in Dora. Please bring a covered dish to share with everyone. For more information, call Joyce Wingo at 205-648-5267.
• Townley Community Center will host a Gospel Singing Saturday, Sept. 8, at 7 p.m. featuring guest singers, Bob Sellers, formerly of the Kingsmen Quartet, and Wayne Page of the Page Trio. Admission will be $5. A love offering will also be taken. Proceeds will benefit the Townley Community Center.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 9
• Warren Family Reunion for descendants of James and John Warren will be held Sunday, Sept. 9, in the Hilton-Walker Building behind Traders and Farmers Bank in Double Springs. For more information, please call 205-489-2320.
• American Legion Unit 9 Woods/Smith Auxiliary in Jasper will meet the second Sunday of each month at 2 p.m. at the Bus Barn located at 1000 Viking Drive in Jasper. For more information, please contact Shannon Williamson 205-689-3142.
MONDAY, SEPT. 10
• Arley Women’s Club meets the second Monday of each month at the Arley Library, with lunch at noon and meeting at 1 p.m.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 11
• East Walker Grief Support Group will meet the second Tuesday of each month at 10:15 a.m. at the Sumiton Community Center at 193 Bryan Road in Sumiton.
• Jasper Herb Society meets the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church in Jasper.
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 12
• Forestry BMP, OSHA Regulation and Deer Chronic Wasting Disease Workshop to be held Wednesday, Sept. 12, in Jasper. Workshop topics will include, Deer Chronic Wasting Disease, Pine and Hardwood Genetics, BMP’s, OSHA Safety & PPE, Insect Borne Diseases and Forestry Ethics. PLM’S & CFE’s will be available for attendees. There is no charge to attend, however reservations are requested. Reservation deadline is Monday, Sept. 3. To make a reservation, please contact Katherine at the Walker County Conservation District at 205-387-1879, ext. 3204.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 13
• Breast Cancer Support Group of Walker County meets the second Thursday of each month at 1:30 p.m., in the Community Room at the Carl Elliott Regional Library on 18th Street in Jasper.
• Walker County Democratic Party meets the second Thursday of each month at Victoria’s Restaurant. Meeting will begin at 5:30 p.m. For more information, please call any of the following numbers: 205-388-6088; 870-834-3721; 205-717-4027; 205-221-6175; 205-221-3296; or 205-221-3296.
• Red Knights International Motorcycle Club Alabama Chapter 9 meets the second Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store in Jasper. Meeting is open to all retired and active firefighters, and those involved in firefighting operations (past or present) who enjoy motorcycles. For more information, contact Danny at 205-515-2610 or Sparky at 205-717-7039.
• Arley American Legion Post 0223 meets the second Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m., at the Boy Scout Lodge in Arley.
• Jasper American Legion Woods-Smith Post 9 meets the second Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m., at the Wade Math & Science Building at 805 14th St. on the Bevill State Community College - Jasper Campus. Doors open at 6 p.m. For more information, contact Adjutant James Snow 205-527-7090; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 14
• Jasper Senior Activity Center on 14th Street West in Jasper hosts a dance at the Memorial Park Natatorium in Jasper the second Friday of each month from 7 until 10 p.m. Admission is $5. For more information, call 205-221-8513.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 15
• Russell Family Reunion for the decedents of George and Minnie Lee Russell will be held Saturday, Sept. 15, beginning at noon at the New Beginnings Church of God located at 860 New Parrish Highway in Parrish. For more information, call Kelly Buzbee at 205-275-6711 or Cindy Russell at 205-295-8270.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 16
• Sons of Confederate Veterans Major John C. Hutto Camp 443 meets the third Sunday of each month at 2 p.m. in the building located behind the First United Methodist Church in Jasper.
MONDAY, SEPT. 17
• Pineywoods Volunteer Fire Department will host a Swamp John's Supper fundraiser Monday, Sept. 17, from 4 – 7 p.m. at the Pineywoods Fire Station located on Pineywoods-Sipsey Road (just off Alabama Highway 69 North) in Jasper.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 20
• Pilot Club of Jasper meets the third Thursday of each month at noon at the Francis Israel Hospitality Center on the Bevill State Community College - Jasper Campus.
• Fibromyalgia Support Group of Walker County meets the third Thursday of each month at 1 p.m. at the Jasper Civic Center on 19th St. in Jasper. For more information, call 205-387-1833 or 205-275-4984.
• New Beacon Hospice at 300 North Airport Rd., in Jasper hosts a monthly Grief Support Group the third Thursday of each month at 2 p.m., at the office. For more information, contact Stan Prewett by phone at 205-387-9339 or email at email@example.com.
• Sumiton Senior Dance is held the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at Senior Complex in Sumiton. Music provided by Country Classic Band. Admission $3.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 25
• Parkinson’s Support Group meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Community Room at the First Christian Church at 400 18th St. W. in Jasper. For more information, call First Christian Church at 205-387-0646.
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 26
• Town of Oakman Corner Market will be open the fourth Wednesday of each month from 8–9:30 a.m. at the corner of Market Street and Alabama Highway 69 South in Oakman. For more information, call Town of Oakman at 205-622-3232.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 27
• Walker County Genealogical Society will meet the fourth Thursday of each month at 1 p.m. in the meeting room of the Jasper Public Library on 18th Street in Jasper.
• Alzheimer's Disease Support Group will host monthly meetings fourth Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at Samaria Baptist Church located at 70 East Lake Road in Jasper. The meetings will be facilitated by Dr. Morris Murray Jr., and consist of encouragement and support for AD caregivers, including specific perspectives on causes, treatment options, and legal matters.
• Burrows Crossing Neighborhood Watch meets the last Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Philadelphia Baptist Church on Burrows Crossing Road in Jasper. For more information, call Jason Akins at 256-962-3082 or Libbie Myers at 205-221-9410.
MONDAY, OCT. 1
• Walker County Beekeepers Association will host a Beginning Beekeepers Class on the following Mondays: Oct. 1, Oct. 8, Oct. 15, Oct. 22, Oct. 29, Nov. 12, and Nov. 19. Classes will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Walker County Extension Office. The class is free.