Grandson keeps grandpa busy
by Jerome Wassman
Sep 18, 2011 | 493 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Jerome Wassmann
Jerome Wassmann
I got a good work out last weekend when my daughter called to ask if I could come over and take care of the “Big Guy” (No. 1 grandson) on Friday evening. Naturally I told her it would be no problem since I had nothing planned. I actually went about mid-afternoon since my daughter was due at Children’s Hospital at 3 p.m. to begin the short shift she would be working.

When I arrived at the house the little fella was taking his afternoon nap. He normally wakes up about 3:30 or 4 from the nap and is ready for a snack of some kind. They try to give him something healthy like fruit or yogurt when he wakes up to tide him over until supper time. I believe that I ended up giving him a banana since he wasn’t interested in the snack his mother had made him.

Once the snack was over and he had drunk about half of what was in his water bottle he was ready to go.

Going to the shelf where they keep several different boxes of the things he plays with he pulled out the box that contains his building blocks. After dumping them all out in the middle of the floor he invited “Grandpa” to get down in the middle of the floor to help stack the blocks. I really never have any trouble in getting down, it’s the getting back up that can be a problem. It seems my bones and joints don’t work quite as well as they did when I was 25 so I try to regularly talk him in to letting me sit in the chair and do the building. Most times that doesn’t seem to satisfy him. I need to be sitting right beside him or at least he certainly thinks that I need to. Once the newness of the building project wore off he was ready to do something else. And of course he wanted to leave the blocks right where they were. He is very good about helping pick them back up once you explain that we can not do “activity two” until we get the blocks back in the box and on the shelf. Once that was done he was ready to go again.

It didn’t take long for him to let me know that he wanted to go outside and play with his tricycle. Now he doesn’t do much riding but he loves to push the tricycle. And of course he doesn’t want any help. So for about an hour he pushed it on the sidewalk, down the driveway, through the front yard, down the side yards and through the rocks along the front and side of the house. He pushes where ever he can find a bump. For some reason he likes to see the tricycle bounce when it hits a bump or a step. When he gets the front wheel in a hole that may be in the yard he is smart enough to know that if he pulls the handles down (those that are used to help steer the tricycle while he is learning to ride it), the front wheel will come up out of the hole and he can continue pushing just using the back wheels. He has a great time and I don’t have to be concerned about chasing him from one end of the yard to the other. His mom and dad have done a good job of teaching him that he can only go so far in the driveway and then he must turn around and come back so that he doesn’t get too close to the street.

I know that when he does learn to ride the tricycle on his own I’m going to have to take him to the park and let him ride the walking trails because he isn’t going to be happy just riding up and down the sidewalk and on the driveway.

I am always amazed at how much he has learned to do since the last time I saw him and how many more words he is learning to string together to make a sentence. It won’t be long and he’ll be reading to me rather than me reading to him.

I wonder if that means I can take a nap after he reads me a story. He does when I read a story to him.

Jerome Wassmann is editor and publisher of the Daily Mountain Eagle.