George Lee Hodges
Aug 14, 2012 | 450 views | 0 0 comments | 9 9 recommendations | email to a friend | print
George Lee “Butchy” Hodges, 88, passed away on Sunday, July 29, 2012, at his home in Jackson, Miss. Funeral services were held in the chapel of Wright and Ferguson in Ridgeland, Miss., on Friday, Aug. 3, 2012. Interment with full military honors followed at Parkway Memorial Cemetery.

Lee was preceded in death by his loving wife of 58 years, Jean Anderson Hodges; his parents, Baxter and Georgie Hodges of Lumberton, N.C.; his brother and sister-in-law, Billy and Maxcene Hodges of Conway, S.C.; and a sister, Doris Ann Hodges. He was also predeceased by his father and mother-in-law, Charles and Addie Anderson; his wife’s brother Jack and his wife, Vivian Anderson; his wife’s sister Margaret and her husband, Paul Bennett; and his brothers-in-law, Wade Davis and Joe Totherow.

Lee is survived by his daughter, Brenda Rogers and her husband Jerrell Rogers of Jasper; three grandsons, SFC Brian Rogers (currently serving in the army in South Korea) and his wife, Angie, of Lacey, Wash.; Brad Rogers and his wife, Stephanie, of Jasper; and Adam Rogers and his wife, Amy, of Jasper; four great-grandchildren; Jacob of Lacey, Wash., Alyssa and Macee of Jasper, Isaiah of Jasper, two sisters-in-law, Jippy Davis-Wood of Rural Hall, N.C. and Hilda Totherow of Winston-Salem, N.C.; and many precious nieces and nephews who loved their “Butchy” very much.

Lee was a salesman, engineer and manager of several radio stations during his career. He first came to Jackson in 1959 where he worked for WJQS in the old King Edward Hotel. He was an avid golfer who played at Colonial Country Club for many years until back problems forced him to stop. He then divided his time between playing gin rummy with his friends at the club and eating and socializing with another group of friends at Scrooge’s.

Lee was a Tech. Sgt. in WWII serving as a radioman and gunner on the B-24 bombers, the Liberandos, the 376th Heavy Bombardment Group. His plane was shot down over Bulgaria on July 3, 1944, and after bailing out, his whole crew was captured. He was put in a prison camp in Shuman, Bulgaria, and remained there for eleven weeks before being freed. Lee was awarded several medals for his service, including the Purple Heart.

If desired, memorials may be made to the Fisher House Foundation at (which provides housing for families of wounded or sick military personnel while they are in the hospital), or to the

Wright Ferguson Funeral Homes,

Ridgeland, Miss.; 601-853-7696