Curry falls to Sipsey Valley 54-47
by Patrick Gregory
Sep 29, 2012 | 991 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
CURRY — Big offensive plays. Both defenses struggled. Fireworks in the second half at Hudson-O’rear Stadium on Friday night.

In the end it was the Sipsey Valley Bears that prevailed over the Curry Yellow Jackets 54-47.

The Bears finished the night with 508 yards of total offense,while Curry finished with 495. That is a combined 1,003 yards of total offense.

There were several big offensive plays Friday night and it didn’t take long for the Bears to strike first.

With 10:23 in the first quarter, Garrett Lewis rolled out and hit Braylan Smith on stride for a 96 yard touchdown strike. The extra point was good and the Bears led 7-0.

Lewis was 10 of 16 passing on the night with 322 yards,with 243 of those yards coming in the first half, and three touchdowns. He also threw an interception.

The Yellow Jackets would answer on a six play 65 yard drive with 8:25 left in the first quarter. Bradley Loggins found a wide open Jarred Owens on 39 yard touchdown catch. The extra point was good and the score was tied.

Loggins finished the night with 243 yards through the air and three touchdowns.He also had three interceptions. Owens had a huge night for the Yellow Jackets with 204 all-purpose yards. He had 13 carries for 121 yards and yards and three touchdowns. He was 2 of 3 passing for 44 yards and a touchdown and also added his 39 yard touchdown catch.

The Yellow Jackets took a 21-7 lead following a 20 yard touchdown catch by Lane Oliver and a four yard touchdown run by Owens. Oliver hauled in four catches on the night for 115 yards.

The Bears cut into the lead in the second quarter of play with Lewis hitting Smith on a 48 yard touchdown strike.The extra point was good and the Jacket lead was 21-14.

The Jackets went in at halftime up 27-14 following a Owens to Tyler Hill touchdown pass.The extra point was no good.

Curry led 33-20 midway of the third quarter,after Owens’ 38 yard touchdown scamper.But the Bears would answer right back on the ensuing kickoff. Isaiah Blackmon would bust through a big hole and rumble in from 75 yards out for the score. The extra point was good and the Bears trailed 33-27.

With 9:04 left in the game, the Jackets held a 47-39 lead on the Bears following a Loggins to Oliver 80 yard touchdown strike.

The Bears tied the game up on their very next drive. Carson Windle would walk into the end zone from seven yards out for the score.

After a stalled drive by the Jackets,the Bears took the lead with 2:40 left in the game. Lewis would dive into the end zone from two yards out. The extra point was good. The Jackets(1-4;0-3) had one last drive with less than a minute left. But the Bears defense rose to the occasion to stall the Jacket drive.

Curry is at home next week in a region contest with Springville.