Walker County Commission Chairman Billy Luster said smoke triggered the fire alarms in the restricted living quarters located on the second floor of the annex.
The Jasper Fire Department responded to the call.
“It wasn’t an active fire. They went in and confirmed that it was more of a smoldering between the walls,” Luster said.
Luster said smoke did not get into any other area of the building, and no damage resulted from the incident.
The inmates were relocated to another facility overnight. Luster said they were back in the annex on Wednesday morning.
A final report from the Alabama State Fire Marshal’s Office is pending.
Luster said although some electrical work was performed in the annex on Monday, it was in another part of the building and has been ruled out as a cause of the smoke.
Luster said all safety precautions for such an incident, including evacuation plans, contributed to keeping the scene under control. “Everything worked exactly as it was supposed to,” Luster said.