Kiser released from custody, still in intensive care
by Rachel Davis
Dec 19, 2013 | 3181 views | 0 0 comments | 44 44 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Wanda Kiser
Wanda Faye Kiser, 62, was released from custody last week at the request of Walker County District Attorney Bill Adair. Kiser was being held in the Walker County Jail awaiting trial on 17 charges of forgery related to the case of two missing elderly women, but her health has deteriorated to the point that her lawyers and local officials doubt she will recover enough to stand trial. Kiser has spent approximately eight weeks in the hospital in intensive care, during which lawyers on both sides said she had not been responsive.

According to Richard Jaffe, her attorney, Kiser is currently in Walker Baptist Medical Center’s intensive care unit. She is being fed through a tube and has a ventilator breathing for her through a tracheotomy tube in her throat. He said he doubts she will ever recover at all, but said best-case scenario, she would need long-term care if she ever left the hospital.

“I’m very saddened by it because I had begun to form a close bond with Wanda and had begun to get to know her,” Jaffe said. “I’m sad for her and her family.”

Jaffe said he opposed the release Adair requested, saying that their position was that she should remain in custody until she was determined to be well enough to leave the hospital, then she should be released into the care of her family in West Virginia.

Adair, who had Kiser extradited from West Virginia two months ago, said he requested the release into her husband’s custody, but that she not be allowed to leave the state or reside anywhere other than Walker or Jefferson County. Another condition of the release was that the district attorney’s office have full access to Kiser’s medical records.

Presiding Circuit Judge Jerry Selman signed the order last Friday. Kiser is effectively released, with the above conditions, pending her trial date if she ever recovers enough to stand trial.

Kiser is charged with forgery related to retirement money allegedly taken from Mary Cobb and her daughter, Wynona Delvecchio, who disappeared from Jasper in 2002. The women, who were 104 and 83 years old, respectively, were allegedly checked out of their nursing home by Kiser.

In 2012, a skull of a frail, elderly woman was found under the women’s former residence.

Other remains were recovered this year from a West Virginia storage facility rented to Kiser. She is also facing two charges of concealing human remains in West Virginia.